Thursday, January 29, 2015

Celestial Folk Art Series - Pisces

There's a half finished to-do list in my sketchbook. It's all the constellations that I'd love to paint in the near future. And for most of them, I have NO IDEA of how I'm going to paint them.

As for Pisces, this idea came to me from outta no where. I was just doing some routine stuff and BAM! I just saw it in my mind's eye.

"Pisces" In Progress
I don't even think I sketched out an idea, I just picked up the brush and started painting. Most of the background and the waves came out perfectly, but the fish...well, I had to step away from the canvas for an evening and work it out in my sketchbook at home.

"Pisces" In Progress
It started coming together, though. Like I hoped it would.

"Pisces" In Progress
Lots of little brush strokes. I don't paint with a completed idea in mind. I just kinda let it BE.

"Pisces" In Progress
Just following my gut. Adding more and more little details. There are times that I think OH NO I ADDED TOO MUCH, but I try to work through that. Usually I don't have to rework a painting too much. 

"Pisces" In Progress
The canvas is sitting on my trusty easel from college.

"Pisces" Finished
All finished! 

"Pisces" Detail
Fish one details.

"Pisces" Detail
Fish two details.

"Pisces" Detail
And star details.

This will be on display during my show in March and April. I'm crossing my fingers that I'll have enough paintings to fill the walls...and I'm in full freak out mode. Perhaps I can turn this nervous energy into productive paint mode. One can hope, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...